Tuesday, February 01, 2011

New free pattern: The D.C. Traveler

So I knew I was going to Washington, D.C. for a few days. In January. This led me to believe it would be cold and I thought, maybe I should dress accordingly. I gave serious consideration to all my handknits. I know that a scarf is practical and can be versatile, depending on its length and width and yarn. After examining all available scarves and wraps, I realized that really there was not one that would fit ALL of the following criteria: a) provide warmth b) go with every outfit I would wear that week, from casual to business casual c) be short enough to not get caught in the closing door of a Metro train, or trail behind me as I scurried across a busy intersection.

I realized I would have to either forgo the scarf idea entirely or make something---quick! I scoured the internet (as in, Ravelry) and came up with this lovely scarf from Melanie Tindale, which I love. I came very close to knitting this exact scarf in a different color, and yet, I felt that the pointed ends were not what I wanted for this particular scarf, for this particular trip. I am indebted to Melanie for her ingenious key-hole design, which I used to make The D. C. Traveler. My daughter made a neck wrap a few years ago using Seed Stitch and I loved how that looked, so well, I knit up my own version of a keyhole scarflet and now I'm sharing the pattern with you....
The D.C. Traveler.

Here I am wearing The D.C. Traveler in the company of that great knitter, Eleanor Roosevelt. This scarflet worked so well for my trip. I could put it on or take it off with a minimum of movement (great for when you're on a crowded train), and it was small enough to fit easily in my pocket or purse. And because the keyhole design makes it self-closing, I never had to re-position it like I invariably do with other, longer scarves. It was also the perfect color for conservative Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment