Monday, August 01, 2011

Simple Knitting-book review


My criteria for loving a knitting book are simple.
1) Good photography. Yes, I like to look at the pictures. Knitting is visual and if I can't see the finished project or the stitch lesson, it makes me nervous.
2)Projects that meet expectations. This one varies from book to book. For Simple Knitting, I expect simpler projects that take into account a beginner's skill levels. For a book that purports to have more advanced work in it (like Stitch n' Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics--another book I love) I expect more advanced projects with the appropriate information to tell me how to knit it.
3) Projects I want to knit. And lots of them, preferably!
4) Clear directions. Need I elaborate?
5) Good attitude. Can you believe I've read knitting books that talked down to knitters? Sad, but true. If the author of the book can't be positive and encouraging and friendly, why bother.

Extras~~Things that put a knitting book over the top.
1) Amazing color palette. Simple Knitting has so many beautiful yarns used in the examples and projects; neutrals mostly, and the design of the book incorporates this well. It makes for a pleasing overall color palette.
2) Classic design. Maybe it's because I'm not a very trendy person myself, but I like a book that has patterns that will stand the test of time. Or maybe I'm just realistic about how long it will take me to knit that super trendy sweater, knowing full well that it will be so last year (or last decade!) by the time the wearer receives it.

Because I love knitting so much, finding a wonderful knitting book is little like meeting a new knitting friend--someone else who "gets it." Simple Knitting is one of those who "gets it"--completely.



1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with everything you said. Far too often I have bought a book and been disappointed in not only the writing but the designs. Now, I try to borrow a book from the library before making a decision on whether to buy it.

    ReplyDelete