Friday, August 26, 2011

Knit-Along!

Many knitters already know the benefits of participating in a Knit-Along (KAL), and, knitting as long as I have, you would think I would have this down pat. Last year I did cast on for a sweater on a shared birthday with a knitting friend who lives in Colorado, but we were knitting different patterns, and her sweater turned out wonderful and mine is finished but hanging in neglected shame in my closet.

This year, however, I have another knitting friend in Atlanta who came up with an idea to have a KAL with me and my 14yo knits-better-than-me daughter. I was charmed by the idea of knitting a bag with a buddy in the next state, despite it being a project destined for felting, something I've purposely avoided thus far. And then she GAVE us the yarn for the project and, well, how could I say no? It's been so fun, to do, too. Despite our starting a bag made of wool/mohair July 1st and knitting through the two warmest months in a summer of record high temps, that is. Some things you have to chalk up to Hazards of the Hobby.

Having a project that you share with a friend is one way to make knitting less isolated and thus more fun. Finally you have someone with whom you can complain about the pattern/yarn/stitches and they don't glaze over with incomprehension! You might, like I do, have the chance to attempt a technique you have been hesitant about, allowing the peer pressure of the KAL to stretch your ability. You have little built-in deadlines that keep the project from languishing when the initial excitement wears off a bit. And if you're competitive, it gives you a chance to knit to the next deadline first for bragging rights. Just don't brag too much, because these are your knitting friends, after all.

If you've never participated in a KAL, I highly recommend it. And if you're looking for a KAL with some history thrown in, I've got just the thing. I signed up for a
19th-Century Doll KAL, to be held Saturday, September 17 at the Charleston Museum. The project is based on a hand-written pattern in the museum archives, and includes a special showing of items from the Museum's knitted and crocheted collection. My daughter is so excited about this she intends to make two. I did mention that she knits better than I do, didn't I?



No comments:

Post a Comment