Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Simple Knitting Tips: Know Your Chart


Simple Knitting Tips: Know Your Chart

Lately I've been working on charting some new designs.  I could just write them out "k2, p2, k5, p2...." and I probably will, but some designs are just so much easier to knit using a chart rather than written directions.  Some new (and not so new) knitters shy away from charts as being too complicated and hard to follow.  I understand, I really do.  What makes it even more of a challenge is that not all chart symbols are universal.  Sometimes " I " means knit and sometimes " . "  means knit.  What?? Confusion! Chaos!! Rioting in the streets!!!

Naturally, I have an easy way to stop the madness:

Bookmarks.

I have a folder of bookmarks on my browser where I keep bookmarks to sites with lists of different types of knitting symbols.  If the chart I am using doesn't make sense, then one of these knitting sites is bound to help.  

The ABC's

Knitty

Vogue Knitting

Craft Yarn Council

KnitPicks

Granted, most patterns you work with should have a key to the symbols used in their chart.  If you get stuck, or if you're just learning the fine art of chart reading, a little help can go a long way.   Also, don't be afraid to try a pattern just because it has a chart.  Just take it one stitch at a time, use your resources, ask for help and go as slow as you need to.  Oh, and one more thing....don't forget to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment