Monday, October 21, 2013

Another go with Indigo


Last Saturday I was privileged to once again teach an Indigo Dyeing Workshop at the Charleston Museum.  We had another great bunch of dyers, who were a blast to work with!



First we got a peek at some of the indigo items in the Museum's collection, and Curator of Textiles Jan Hiester gave a brief history of the use of indigo in the Charleston area.
Then the dyeing began.  Can you see how green the yarn is in the vat?  It looks kind of sickly, but trust me, it turned out a beautiful blue--that's the magic of indigo.

Laura brought a dress that she wanted to try in the vats.  She was thrilled with the results! It turned out great!


A little silk tie-dye? You bet! Delores did a beautiful job! 

Look for the next Indigo Dyeing Workshop to be scheduled soon.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait until the next one is scheduled. Maybe 3rd Times the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I just did another round myself on Sunday...working to learn better on technique. I still think you should do a weekend workshop at John C Campbell Folk School. I'll help! I keep telling myself...Tamara says it's all about experimentation!

    ReplyDelete