Thursday, March 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday: from Sept, 2012---Why take a class?


It's Throwback Thursday at KnitOasis! Here again are the reasons why taking a class is a Good Thing, with this added note: 

Since I value the teacher-student relationship, I offer high-quality, in person classes, tutorials and consultations. As of this time there are no plans to offer online classes.

Upcoming classes include Cast-ons
Indigo Dyeing Workshop and Fair Isle.

Original posting--9/6/12:
Why take a knitting class? When there are books and online videos galore, how do you justify spending a few extra dollars to learn a new skill?


Quality instruction: I've taught knitting for 6 years and I have been certified to teach by the Craft Yarn Council upon successful completion of Levels I and II of their Instructor's Program.  The program was written by experienced knitters who also provide mentoring and evaluation for participants. I knit 20 swatches, developed 7 beginning and intermediate classes and submitted knitted and written patterns for 3 of these, wrote a pattern for a sweater, knit a sweater from another pattern for review, and passed two phone evaluations with one of the creators of the Instructor's Program.  Credentials like these ensure that you will be taught the correct methods in keeping with industry standards.

Let someone else catch your mistakes before they get out of hand: When you're new to knitting or to a technique, it's not always easy to see why you might be doing something wrong.  With an experienced instructor to check your work, you can avoid developing bad knitting habits. Any class you take with me comes with free follow-up---your satisfaction is important to me!

Meet other knitters: So many of my students take classes for this reason because they are new in town. Though I'm not new to the area, I still love to meet new people, especially knitters! I've had the privilege of meeting people from all over the world through knitting classes.

Bonus learning: Because there are so many great tricks and techniques to make knitting easier, there's always something new to learn.  You might take a class on intarsia and learn about a great new cast on method from one of your fellow classmates, for example.

Fun: There's a reason our ancestors gathered for quilting bees and barnraisings--it really is fun to do stuff together!

1 comment: